Help MovetheFood increase support for the most vulnerable children in the metro. By hosting a diaper drive, you will help many low-income families provide diapers for their babies and toddlers.
How to Host a Diaper Drive
Call the MovetheFood team at 515-227-6969, to let us know about your diaper drive. This allows us to announce the information on our website and social networking sites and help you get results. Our most needed size of diaper is 5-6, for toddlers.
- Create a committee to plan, organize, advertise and manage the event. Set the start and end dates (normally 1-2 week drives work best).
- Establish a location (school, business, place of worship) and pick-up / drop-off sites. Consider a central collection area decorated with baby items to keep the drive top of mind. A playpen, crib, or large box covered in baby gift-wrap work well.
- Provide a contact name, phone number and/or e-mail address to answer questions that may arise.
Get the Word Out:
Once you have set the dates and location of your diaper drive, advertise your event. Depending on the location you can help spread the word through a church or office bulletin, newsletter or enewsletter, flier, elist, Facebook or Twitter, posters, etc. Be creative!
Make it fun!
- Make your diaper drive competitive! Have contests between offices, work units, congregation members, families, or individuals to see which team can raise the most diapers with a prize for the best ‘raiser.’
- Get creative! There are many opportunities to hold a diaper drive such as a baby shower, birthdays, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, family reunions, etc.
- Hold a fun kickoff event like a baby derby race or bring your favorite baby doll to work day.
- Publicize your success when you complete your diaper drive!
Cash donations are welcome and can be accessed through DMARC’s donation page. Your dollars go further when combined with other cash donations. If you choose to donate monetarily, please indicate on your donation that it is intended for diapers and list if your company has a matching gifts program. MovetheFood can purchase 100 diapers for $14.
After completing your diaper drive count the number of diapers and arrange for drop off at the Food Pantry warehouse (3816 36th Street in Des Moines) or contact MovetheFood at 515-277-6969 for pick-up assistance. Office hours: M-F, 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m., except major holidays and in the summer M-Th, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.; F, 8 a.m.-3:30 p.m.